It’s 4pm on a Tuesday. I am tired from being up with my puppy for the night, getting up early, and actually having to look pulled together at my 8-4 where I am seemingly one of the youngest in the office. Driving home, all I want to do is crawl into bed and snuggle with the pup and boyfriend for the night.
There is this other thing I have to head to tonight. My part-time job.
In May of this year, I decided I wanted to make a little extra income and also bump up my wardrobe by applying for a part-time sales position at LOFT, the women’s clothing store. I worked retail in the past, so I knew what I was getting myself into. Before you decide to take on the added responsibility of another job, here are a few pros and cons to think of:
- Extra income! I work approximately 2-3 shifts a week, totaling about $70-100 a week in extra income
- Meeting people my age. This is a big plus for me. It is a fun environment, and I do enjoy my coworkers.
- Exercise. You’re up on your feet, you MUST be burning some sort of calories (about 130/hour)
- The whammy: DISCOUNTS!! Trust me, they’re pretty good.
- Debt: I spend just about all that I make on clothes there. I also have a credit card, so if I leave my cards at home, I can still look up my account and use it. I pay this card off first since it is the only debt that accumulates interest for me currently.
- Time: Going to another job after your previous 8 hour job isn’t the most fun. I get tired
- Customers: Some have NO respect for other people, areas, etc… There is such a difference in each individual. The way you treat the store says a lot about you as a person. It’s funny how that works…
Have you thought about getting a part-time job, whether it is a solo endeavor or something a little more structured like mine? Any funny retail stories to share – I know there are plenty!!